Friday, November 5, 2010

OH MY GOD

It's finally happened. They showed signs of rebellion, but nothing like this has ever occured. Yet. And now it has, and I can't stop grinning. I blame the fact that I created a character who was meant to be a bit mysterious and inscrutable.

Okay. I'm getting ahead of myself. Basically, the story goes like this: Today I sat down and wrote like a madwoman. I'm nearing the grand finale, I'm worrying about how I'm going to work certain elements into my story, I'm not sure I'll have enough plot left to fill 50k, and I haven't explained a lot of what seems like filler.

Then I come to the scene where my Mysterious Wise Woman character has to explain Peter's Very Important Backstory to Wendy. This is an important scene, even pivotal, and I've been looking forward to it for forever. I hit this scene with about two hundred words to go before I hit 20k, and I'm thinking, "I'll just start this, maybe with a bit of foreshadowing, get those two hundred words down without getting into the Very Important Backstory so I'm not tempted to stay up all night writing, and then I'll go to bed." Seemed like a sound and solid plan, right?

WRONG.

My Mysterious Wise Woman proceeded to dash off onto an eloquent and excellent tangent about my magical world, and, in doing so, managed to fill in a few of my plot holes, add some of my neglected elements, introduce a possibility for a WHOLE 'NOTHER GRAND FINALE past the one I already have planned out, provide reasons for the actions of pretty much everyone throughout the book, tie in the Very Important Backstory and Wendy's identity as a writer, add a darker, stranger, more Gaimanesque twist to the magical world and pretty much the whole book, and cast a sense of foreboding over what is shaping up to be the Final Battle (unless I run out of plot before I run out of words, in which case it will be the Penultimate Battle). And not one word of this did I plan. I don't think I even knew it was percolating in my subconscious until Erzebet laid it all out in black and white. I know where some elements of it came from (Coraline and Solemn Coyote's reviews on FP, to name two), but I had no idea that it would all tie together so nicely, and turn into such a lovely little piece of spine-tingling silliness.

So thanks, characters, for indulging in your rebellious urges. :D I'll be right back, though: busy sleeping. LIKE YOU SHOULD HAVE BEEN AT FOUR IN THE MORNING, GUYS.

3 comments:

Athena said...

I love when my characters surprise me - most especially when it moves the plot in a completely new direction. I'm looking forward to reading your story when November's over (no time for reading now, 'm'fraid)!

E said...

Heh, I have no time for reading either (NaNo and a billion essays, AUUUUUUUUUUUUUGH). But I look forwrd to reading EVERYONE'S NaNovels once November is over!

Rhiannon said...

I think one of my favourite parts of writing is when you come to that instant, that one, brief moment of epiphany where all the story is laid out before you in such a way that you can see the entirety of it, from beginning to end, in its full narrative beauty and that all that remains, then, is to write it.

In other worse, "I love it when a plan comes together."

Congrats on getting there, even if it was at four in the morning >:D